Welcome to Nanuet Senior High School's Nurse Health and Wellness Page
From: Maura Hanigan, R.N. Nanuet H.S. School Nurse
Please send in a current physical for your child yearly. The following is a list of reasons that they are needed:
Sports: Every student needs a physical that is current (within a year) of when the try-out begins. If it isn’t current, they cannot try-out.
Registration: A Recent physical is needed when you register your child to attend any Nanuet School.
New York State Mandated Screenings & Physical Exams:
Scoliosis Screenings: Mandatory that every 9th grade have a screening on file. If they don’t have a physical they will be screened by the nurse. This may occur during class time.
Annual physicals: All 10th graders are required to have.
Hearing & Vision Screenings: Required for all 10th graders.
**These mandated screenings will be done in school if we don’t have a record of it by your child’s private physician.
*** Please send in all annual physical forms so we can avoid duplicating services and avoid taking your child out of class.
Immunizations: required for every student.
**New for the 2016/17 School Year: As per N.Y. State Public Health Law, section 2164 students entering the 7th & 12th grade must have the Meningococcal vaccine. All 12th graders must have 2 Mennigitis vaccines. To learn more about this visit: health.ny.gov/Immunize.
All students who want to play a sport must have a physical examination either with their personal Dr. or with Dr. Ingrassia the school physician. All physicals must be dated 1 year prior to the date of the sports first day of practice. It must be brought to the Health Office along with the consent/health update form & emergency card in order to be eligible to play a sport.
**An athletic physical performed by Dr. Ingrassia fulfills the 10th grade N.Y.S. requirement mentioned above.
Sports forms and other health forms can be found at the link below.
Any questions please free to contact me:
Maura Hanigan, R.N.
Revisions to School Health Services Regulations Effective 7/1/18
Effective 7/1/2018, the mandated years for health exams and screening will change. In addition, only the approved NYS School Health Examination Form may be used to document health exams to provide consistency across the state.
The Changes Are Provided Below
- Health examinations will be required in grades PreK or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11.
- Vision screening for distance and near vision acuity will be required within 6 months of admission to school and in grades Pre K or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11.
- Hearing screening utilizing pure tone testing will be required within 6 months of admission to school· and in grades Pre K or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11.
- Scoliosis screening will be required in grades 5 and 7 for girls and grade 9 for boys.
What You Need To Know
The use of the approved health form and changes to the grade level requirements are not effective until 7/1/18.
- Schools should use the current form and follow the current guidance for the remainder of this school year.
- 2018-2019 is a transition year and any health exam form signed by a NYS Physician, Nurse, Practitioner, or Physician Assistant may be accepted.
- Changes for screening grades are not effective until 7/1/18 and will not be implemented until the 2018-2019 school year.
- Schools should notify parents/guardians whose students will be in grades PreK or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11 in the 2018-2019 school year now of the need to obtain a health examination for next school year.
- For the 2019-2020, ONLY the approved NYSED form will be accepted.
What You Need to Do
Make sure you read HIP emails and encourage colleagues and medical directors who are not members to sign up to assure you receive notification when the updated guidelines for Health Examination and resources to implement the requirements are placed on the NYSCSH website.
What NYSED and NYSCSH Are Doing To Assist Schools
The Center will provide sample notification letters for parents, providers and a sample transition plan for schools, as well as sample screening notification letters and signs and symptoms for classroom teachers. They will be available in early spring.
Health Certificate Appraisal Letter.pdf (Form is good through 6/30/18)
Physical Exam Form.pdf (Form is good through 6/30/18)